Greetings Halo Fans,
A month has gone by and here we are with an end-of-month update on the development of Halo The Master Chief Collection from the 343 Industries Team.
It goes without saying that the team has had to make several adjustments to continue development with COVID-19, and I we all are cognizant that game development certainly isn’t the world priority at his time either. Ok, so where are we at with the development of The Master Chief Collection? Read on.
To Start Things off…Postums Flight Update
This was posted back on the 27th of March by way of the Halowaypoint message boards, and will lead us in to the major development update for Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary.
Welcome back to another weekly Development & Flighting Update. The team has made fantastic progress over the past week for our upcoming flight, including branching the build and curating down the content. We are almost ready to begin testing in Rings 1 & 2. We are not flighting a build to them yet as there are a few blockers. Once those have been resolved and verified, we will begin flighting to the Ring 1 & 2 groups and then push to our Public flight for Halo Insiders in Ring 3.
In awesome news relating to flighting, we have begun testing out the latest evolution of how we message and invite flight participants. Going forward, we will no longer be sending out emails with all pertinent information surrounding a flight. We have been testing out our new information delivery system on Waypoint and will be putting it through the rounds with our Ring 1 & 2 folks soon.
Once all flight blockers are fixed, tests performed through Rings 1 & 2, and we get the green light that we are ready to go – we will begin our flighting for Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary to the public. Earlier this month we talked about additional pieces we were hoping to flight for Halo: Reach and Halo: Combat Evolved, but these changes need to cook just a little bit longer.
The scope of this upcoming flight will include content for Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary for Campaign, Multiplayer, Theater (H2A only), as well as some new features players haven’t seen yet! So, hang in there folks. We are heads down working to get things into your hands and appreciate your patience.
Also, please check out this tweet HERE. Thank you all for stopping by and as always, we will see y’all online!Cheers,
Halo Flighting Invite Updates
1. If invited, you will receive a notification here on Halo Waypoint informing you that you’ve been invited to a flight.
2. You will also receive a message that includes key flight details (including steam keys etc).
3. This information will also be accessible via your Halo Insider Program profile page. You will be linked to your flight’s instructions, details (whether it’s Steam, Microsoft Store, or Xbox One), and this page will also include information about the status of the flight (if it is Active or ended). If it’s a Steam flight – your Steam Key will live here too.
MCC Bug Fixes
It should be noted that all of these bugs were brought to the 343i team by you, the community during the flighting program.
MCC All Up
- MCC – Title can soft lock on the Post Game Loading Screen after leaving mid-match
- MCC – Sometimes controller vibration continues after pausing the game
- MCC – All players receive an error message if launching into a MP match takes too long
- MCC – Quit penalties are not being applied to users leaving matches
Halo: Combat Evolved
- H:CE – Crash due to a UE4 Fatal error
- H:CE – Achievements for mission completions, Par Time, and Score were not unlocking for some
- H:CE – Timers have been added to multiplayer matches
- H:CE – Charge audio plays when rapid firing the Plasma Pistol
- H:CE – Classic Multiplayer uses Remastered Campaign Audio
- H:CE – Camo VFX are not visible to all players in Matchmaking and Custom Games
- H:CE – Voice over sound echoes and seems distant in the Pillar of Autumn cutscene
- H:CE – Player name placement is lower than in legacy H:CE in splitscreen
- H:CE – Resting bullet cases flicker on the ground
- H:CE – Headless Spartan model appears in the cryo-chamber in 4k on the Pillar of Autumn
- H:CE – Activating a terminal does not take the user to the terminal video
- H:CE – Spartan model’s hands look to be lower quality during idle animation
- H:CE – Low resolution textures on players, weapons, and vehicles in remastered graphics
- H:CE – Swap weapons occurs quicker compared to Legacy when using VFR frame rate option
- H:CE – Customization preview model proportions don’t match in game models
- H:CE – Loading screen inaccurately shows Plasma Pistol icon when weapon set is normal
- H:CE – Default options were swapped for some classic and non-classic game variants
- H:CE – Some textures and decals disappeared when swapping between remastered and classic
- H:CE – The “Lowered” crosshair position settings were lower than in Halo: Reach’s options
- H:CE – Weapon audio was missing during the entire mission after watching the Jenkins cutscene
- H:CE – Music and sound effects volume is slightly louder than legacy H:CE
- H:CE – Ability to set primary and secondary weapons in Custom Games
- H:CE – Addition to display time elapsed in H:CE
- H:CE – Adjusted enemy name text colors and placements for consistency across titles
- H:CE – Fixed title safe areas in Split screen
- H:CE – Assault on the Control Room Sgt. Stacker voice was incorrect
- H:CE – Quickly switching weapons during reload didn’t interrupt sound effects
- H:CE – Performance drops throughout the mission The Silent Cartographer
Halo 2 and Halo: 2 Anniversary
- H2A – Nebula lighting was excessively dark and impairs gameplay on these forged maps
- H2A – FPS performance falls below 40 when multiple explosions effects appear onscreen
- H2A – Subtitles were delayed and out of sync in remastered cinematics
- H2A – In Forge, team colors display incorrectly in all UI menus
- H2A – Game over was displayed in Forge when selecting “Start New Round”
- H2A – Infected did not appear to have a shield bar when shields were set to Normal in Custom games
- H2C – Warthog horn and other vehicles incorrectly shoot Scarab rounds when Scarab skull is enabled
- H2C – Players were not awarded multi-kill medals when the criteria was met
- H2C – Shade turret kills showed up as plasma turret kills
- H2C – Playlist progression was not correctly awarded to Co-Op players
- H2C – Sword equip sound effects didn’t always play
- H2C – Corrupted textures on tunnel ceiling on Outskirts
Other Halo Titles
- HR – There are texture issues between the fog and mountains in the intro cinematic
- H4 – Wateris missing ripple VFX when driving throughout Halo 4
- ODST – Visor UI elements do not appear upscaled for 4K
MCC Features Under Development
Actively in Development
- Progression System improvements including Challenges (Flighting)
- UI/UX Improvements around navigation, roster, customization and many more areas of the game
- Text Chat Improvements
- Double Key binds
In Design Iteration
- Additional Mod Support
- Additional Video Settings/Options
- In Game FPS Cap/Adjustments
- Steam account linking
- Customization Improvements
In Backlog Pending Further Discussions
- Input based Matchmaking
- Regional server selection
- Cross-Play between Xbox & PC
- VFR Improvements
- Idle System Improvements
- Bringing PC features to Console (Like FOV Sliders)
- Additional accessibility support
- Custom Game Browser
- Better ways to report players
You can check out the full post here. They have an in-house interview between Postums and some others from the dev team covering various concepts with some Forge details!